Re: License Management Services

From: stephen booth <stephenbooth.uk_at_gmail.com>
Date: Mon, 17 Oct 2005 17:22:59 +0100

On 17/10/05, amit.sharma_at_uk.nomura.com <amit.sharma_at_uk.nomura.com> wrote:
> Not had any dealings with them myself but heard they will be reviewing the number of licences you have bought.
> They will check for number of cpu's and users accessing the number of databases on those servers, and then compare with what you have bought.
> It could be check where they are suspicious or It's a routine process where they pick a company randomly sometimes to fill their timesheets I guess :)

Sounds like the BSA (Business Software Alliance), aka the militant branch of Microsoft, who tend to only pounce when they get a tip off about a company running more than they're licensed for. Has anyone in IT left lately due to being sacked/layed off or complaining of being mistreated, most tip offs to bodies like BSA are from people who recently left a company and feel the need to 'get back at' the company relatively safely (and pick up a bounty if any over use is discovered[1]).

Stephen

[1] Which is pretty much always. I've yet to come accross any company of a reasonable size that could be sure it was correctly licensed.