Re: PFILE from SPFILE

From: NEW pop.tiscali.de <adolph.tony_at_tiscali.de>
Date: Mon, 17 Oct 2005 13:31:08 +0100

Hi Deepak,

RE 1: as a previous post just noted, in RAC configurations, the * is replaced by the instance number for the database.

RE 2: the ? is ORACLE_HOME, not BASE

RE 3: looks dodgy to me, what's the control_files entry in the new pfile that was just created from the spfile?

Tony

  Hi All,

  When I created a pfile from spfile the pfile has lines like the following....

  *.background_dump_dest='?\admin\

  I have a few doubts regarding that.

  1> Why *. is there before each line.

  2> Why the locations of the dumps as well as the control files have ?\ prefixed.

  3> Even when i use sho parameter control_file it shows the ?

  Please help me in understanding the above.

  --
  Regards,

  Deepak
  Oracle DBA