Re: Methods for testing RMAN backups?

From: Paul Baumgartel <paul.baumgartel_at_gmail.com>
Date: Thu, 13 Oct 2005 13:46:42 -0400

Vanessa,

"Auxiliary" just refers to a second instance to which RMAN can connect.

Each database needs an instance for access. To duplicate an existing DB, you first have to create an instance for the duplicate; you do that on Windows by running oradim; on *nix by defining a new ORACLE_SID environment variable.

When you duplicate a database with RMAN, you connect both to the source (primary) and destination (auxiliary) instances; for example

rman target / auxiliary sys/change_on_install_at_NEW_DUPLICATE_DB

--
Paul Baumgartel
paul.baumgartel_at_aya.yale.edu