RE: Methods for testing RMAN backups?

From: Marquez, Chris <cmarquez_at_collegeboard.org>
Date: Thu, 13 Oct 2005 10:32:43 -0400

Vanessa,
I would say RESTORing and RECOVERing everything is not on the best test of a backup (plan) but you own recovery skills too.

Jay,
>> using RMAN with the auxiliary parameter
>> and our latest production database backup.

Wow, I never thought of that.
I have used "auxiliary" but only with creating a Standby DB even then not often. Can you explain it just a little more detail...maybe just a little syntax too.

I assume you do not move (mv, scp, etc.) that prod RMAN backup around. I can be seen from it location from both TST and PROD...or is it on tape?

You roll logs to this way?

Thanks,

Chris Marquez
Oracle DBA

From: oracle-l-bounce_at_freelists.org
[mailto:oracle-l-bounce_at_freelists.org] On Behalf Of Vanessa A. Simmons Sent: Thursday, October 13, 2005 8:50 AM To: oracle-l_at_freelists.org
Subject: Methods for testing RMAN backups?

I am getting ready to apply a patch to our databases and before doing so I need to test our RMAN backups to make sure I can get them all back in case there's a problem. Plus, it's just good practice to test the backups regularly anyway (BEFORE a disaster occurs). However, I haven't ever tested my backups before and want to see how others have done this.

Thanks in advance,
Vanessa

**DISCLAIMER
This e-mail message and any files transmitted with it are intended for the use of the individual or entity to which they are addressed and may contain information that is privileged, proprietary and confidential. If you are not the intended recipient, you may not use, copy or disclose to anyone the message or any information contained in the message. If you have received this communication in error, please notify the sender and delete this e-mail message. The contents do not represent the opinion of D&E except to the extent that it relates to their official business.