Re: Partitioning question

From: <tboss_at_bossconsulting.com>
Date: Wed, 12 Oct 2005 11:26:06 -0400 (EDT)

Licensing issues aside, implementing partitioning requires some careful planning and thought, else you can actually harm yourself and your database performance more than you can help (some of this is more generic Data Warehousing, but all relates to the use of partitioning in a DW)

Some key decisions you'll have to make:

If you don't choose a partitioning key wisely, then your database may end up scanning every partition for every query, to find the information it needs, before using just that partition to resolve the query (unless you're using global indexes, see below)

my 2 cents from working in a DW world,
Todd