RE: Long Term Backups and Retrieval strategies

From: Christian Antognini <Christian.Antognini_at_trivadis.com>
Date: Mon, 10 Oct 2005 17:52:09 +0200

Hi Hemman

>With different legislative and customer requirements, we are troubled by the
>fact that we may have to make data backups available for 7 to 15 years {some
>requirements are as long as 15 years}.
>The usual restrictions about the same hardware and operating systems not being
>available 10 years later come to mind first.
>
>How have other organisations devised backup strategies for such requirements ?

A couple of years ago we had to solve the same problem for the Swiss Federal Archive. I suggest you to go to http://www.trivadis.com/e/company/customers/casestudies/ and read the case study (search for "Swiss Federal Archive") about our solution. Note that one of the requirements was to be database independent as well.

HTH
Chris

New Features Oracle Database 10g Release 2 seminars @ www.trivadis.com

Italiano: Lugano (24-Nov)
Français: Genève (17-Nov)
Deutsch: Hamburg (13-Oct), München (20-Oct), Basel (25-Oct), Frankfurt (27-Oct),
         Bern (8-Nov), Düsseldorf (23-Nov), Zürich (29-Nov), Stuttgart (13-Dec)