Re: linux vs MS (slight twist on the topic)

From: Mladen Gogala <gogala_at_sbcglobal.net>
Date: Sun, 09 Oct 2005 17:46:55 +0000

On 10/07/2005 10:08:47 AM, Robyn wrote:
> one more question:
>
> It is frequently said here that Linux is not ready for production. (
> i used to laugh out load at this; i'm learning to control my giggles
> but i've about bitten a hole in my tongue)

I am a Linux user and this message is written on Linux (FC3, to be precise). Feature by feature, Linux kernel misses several important things that exist on Solaris and HP-UX:

Linux doesn't have anything even remotely like priocntl, which allows priority control.

Linux doesn't allow you to control virtual memory subsystem. Usual BSD variables, later adopted on SYSV, like freelim, borrowlim and growlim don't exist. What is even worse, Linux doesn't allow you to specify the maximum size of the system buffer cache. All free memory is, by default, used for buffer cache and there is nothing you can do about it.

Several extremely useful things are missing. One of them is caching file system (see cfsadmin on Solaris or HP-UX). Another one is a stable printing system. CUPS is unstable piece of s...oftware which has caused me infinite amount of grief and pain.

If I were choosing platform by features, Linux would definitely not be my platform of choice. The lack of control over the memory management makes it unsuitable for big configurations because it is hard to control scalability. So far, I don't consider Linux to be production ready, no matter how much will you giggle.

--
Mladen Gogala
http://www.mgogala.com