Re: Problem with large SGA

From: zhu chao <zhuchao_at_gmail.com>
Date: Sat, 8 Oct 2005 13:23:33 +0800

Large SGA does not hurt performance, for improvement, it depends on the active data set.

We have case increase sga size helps a lot, also cases double sga size does not help at all. With large SGA and large tablespace, begin backup is much longer than before. Even if you do a full checkpoint before you begin backup.
 On 10/8/05, Dennis Williams <oracledba.williams_at_gmail.com> wrote:

> Daniel,
>
> > We recently increased the size of our SGA from 40gig to over 100gig by
> > increasing our shared pool and block buffer cache.
> > Everything has gone very well.
>
> Have you had an opportunity to test your performance with large SGA?
> I've heard tales of people who have increased the SGA to the point
> that performance actually degrades. Like maybe buffer cache searches
> take a long time. Never had access to enough RAM to test this myself.
>
> Recently this list had a thread discussing solid-state disk. It seems
> to me that you pretty much have that in this situation.
>
> Dennis Williams

Regards
Zhu Chao
www.cnoug.org <http://www.cnoug.org>