Re: Problem with large SGA

From: Dennis Williams <oracledba.williams_at_gmail.com>
Date: Fri, 7 Oct 2005 14:50:01 -0500

Daniel,

> We recently increased the size of our SGA from 40gig to over 100gig by
> increasing our shared pool and block buffer cache.
> Everything has gone very well.

Have you had an opportunity to test your performance with large SGA? I've heard tales of people who have increased the SGA to the point that performance actually degrades. Like maybe buffer cache searches take a long time. Never had access to enough RAM to test this myself.

Recently this list had a thread discussing solid-state disk. It seems to me that you pretty much have that in this situation.

Dennis Williams