Re: 10.2 locations for Admin and Oradata directories

From: Terry Sutton <terrysutton_at_usa.net>
Date: Thu, 6 Oct 2005 11:11:45 -0700

MessageRich,

Actually, your preference is the OFA standard (pre-10g). Datafiles are not under ORACLE_BASE. I personally think it's blasphemous to change this. I presumed that Mladen was being sarcastic (what are the odds), and continued in that stream.

Years ago, the OFA paper was the first time I had ever heard of Cary Millsap, and I remember thinking "Look, someone's thought through all the implications of their recommendations. How rare!" I'm not sure if the implications of the 10g recommendations have been as thoroughly thought through.

--Terry

  Tongue-in-cheek detected.

  But with all reverence and respect for Mr. Millsap (and Mr. Holt, I have two copies of The Book), I still don't care for OFA's placement of data in the same directory tree as the Oracle software. I don't like the risk to removing live datafiles while maintaining the software inventory. We typically have separate mount points for the Oracle DB files.

  AFAICR, I'm the only one on this list that has voiced this blasphemous opinion, so it's very possible that I'm off base here. Thoughts, anyone?

  Rich

  Disclaimer: I'm an idiot. The difference between me and other idiots is that I know I'm an idiot.     -----Original Message-----
    From: oracle-l-bounce_at_freelists.org [mailto:oracle-l-bounce_at_freelists.org] On Behalf Of Terry Sutton     Sent: Wednesday, October 05, 2005 5:31 PM     To: Oracle-L
    Subject: Re: 10.2 locations for Admin and Oradata directories

    Good point. It's clear that Mr. Millsap was misguided when he wrote those OFA papers. I'll bet that Oracle 11x will trumpet the superiority of Method C over Method R.

    --Terry

--

http://www.freelists.org/webpage/oracle-l Received on Thu Oct 06 2005 - 13:16:59 CDT