Client performance

From: Goulet, Dick <DGoulet_at_vicr.com>
Date: Thu, 6 Oct 2005 13:39:41 -0400

Folks,

        I've a question that I hope someone will be able to answer. First the configuration:

        Server Red Hat EE 4 with Oracle 9.2.0.6 installed and GB network card.

        Client Windows 2003 Enterprise vanilla with security patches and Oracle 9.2.0.1 client software, also a GB network card. It's primarily a web server.

Here's the problem. If I run a tnsping from this client to the database server it returns the appropriate result in 60 to 110 msec. A straight ping returns in < 1msec. Conversely if I run the same tests between the database server and my laptop, which is very similar, except for physical size and network card (100 baseT), the tnsping returns in 0 msec & likewise < 1 msec for the ping. Running sql*plus to the database server from the client returns data just fine, but it's not a smooth flow. You can actually see the data being painted onto the screen. The application running thereon is likewise having a problem. A specific query run thereon takes 2 minutes, but elsewhere it takes < 2 seconds. We've beat this thing severely about the head & shoulders and it definitely is an Oracle issue with this one client. I'm going to install the 9.2.0.6 patch set this afternoon, but am wondering if anyone else has run into similar issues.

Dick Goulet
Senior Oracle DBA
Oracle Certified DBA