RE: Rule of thumb for new schema vs. new database?

From: Hostetter, Jay M <JHostetter_at_decommunications.com>
Date: Thu, 6 Oct 2005 10:23:00 -0400

Brian,

   As mentioned by others, you will have more flexibility regarding tuning, recovery, and upgrading if you setup a separate instance. If you have home grown apps, using the same instance may be viable, depending on the requirements of your applications - sharing data, volume of activity, recovery, etc. Recovery scenarios may be rare, but in the event that you need to recover the entire instance, you'll prefer dealing with one application instead of many.

   If this is a 3rd party application, I would be surprised if the vendor would support sharing an instance. Heck - we have vendors that insist that the database be on it's own separate box, let alone the same instance.

Jay