Re: 10.2 locations for Admin and Oradata directories

From: Paul Drake <bdbafh_at_gmail.com>
Date: Wed, 5 Oct 2005 15:33:51 -0400

On 10/5/05, Sarah Satterthwaite <ssatterthwaite_at_cswcasa.com> wrote:

> Oracle 10.2 on Windows
>
> I am playing with this and did a default install of the sample database. I
> was very surprised to find the admin and oradata trees under
> ORACLE\PRODUCT\10.2.0. Is there any reason why it is desirable to keep
> then
> in a version specific tree? Many versions ago they did things that way but
> then they got smarter and made the Admin and Oradata areas version
> independent.
>
> I know I can do a customized setup and change this, but I am wondering if
> there is any good reasons to do it the way they did in their sample
> database.
>
> Thanks,
>
> Sarah

Sarah,

Sounds like:
- A lack of "knowledge transfer" between whomever is stuck with creating the response files for the various editions/versions. - Job security for the DBA
- same old dbca

Feel free to create your own response files and copy them to your centralized installation location or burn them to CDROM or DVD (whatever keeps your boat from capsizing).

token reference to the OUI concepts manual ... http://download-east.oracle.com/docs/cd/B19306_01/install.102/b14316/intro.htm#sthref119 http://download-east.oracle.com/docs/cd/B19306_01/install.102/b14316/advance.htm#CHDICDJA

dbca has usually wanted to place files under the ORACLE_HOME and not under ORACLE_BASE/admin - it did that in 10g R1.

Paul

> Sarah Satterthwaite
> Database Administrator
> Fiserv CSW