Re: resync

From: Mladen Gogala <gogala_at_sbcglobal.net>
Date: Wed, 05 Oct 2005 11:56:47 +0000

On 10/05/2005 07:04:19 AM, zhu chao wrote:
> That's a solution.
> One possible problem we have seen is,sometime when remote server hangs/disk
> problem, archive process/lgwr can also hang. This is very bad for primary
> database.

It happens only if the remote location is defined as mandatory, which I consider a misconfiguration. Unless your network is 100% reliable, which is something I have never seen, your log writer should be allow to proceed, even if a write to the remote location fails. OEM will alert you if there is a new error in your alert.log so you can defer the location until your problem is fixed. As for the reliability of networks, just think how many routers are sleeping with the fishes in New Orleans.

> Another advantage of using rsync is the -z flag, which helps great if you
> have to manage multiple data center. Transferring a lot of archive logs with
> -z is really useful.

I wouldn't know anything about managing data centers, I manage databases. I'll take your word here.

--
Mladen Gogala
http://www.mgogala.com