RE: AUTOEXTEND

From: Dougie McGibbon <DMcGibbon_at_tollnz.co.nz>
Date: Wed, 5 Oct 2005 10:46:15 +1300

I've got too many other things to do than to monitor space usage on the datawarehouses I run. When each datawarehouse is built, I slap autoextend on everything and the sysops guys put Nagios alerts at 75% space utilisation. That way they get a warning before anything becomes too critical and then tell me. I evaluate the usage then grab another 50 gig or so from the SAN and allocate it around.

More importantly, it means it's them that gets paged at 3 in the morning when the latest warehouse load breaks the space barriers and not me !

Dougie McGibbon