RE: SQL for Monitoring; log_buffer entries/growth?

From: Marquez, Chris <cmarquez_at_collegeboard.org>
Date: Mon, 3 Oct 2005 10:11:57 -0400

Yeah I have that one and a few others like it.

Seems now I specifically want to know/find SQL for how much of the log_buffer is used/free/growing?

I want to anticipate contention (full log_buffer) rather than seeing the resulting (past) waits/stats.

???

Thanks,

Chris Marquez

Oracle DBA

From: Hallas, John, Tech Dev [mailto:John.Hallas_at_gb.vodafone.co.uk] Sent: Monday, October 03, 2005 7:32 AM
To: Marquez, Chris; oracle-l_at_freelists.org Subject: RE: SQL for Monitoring; log_buffer entries/growth?

Howabout , the following but I am sure you have looked at that already

John

PROMPT ================================================================

PROMPT Redo Log Space Requests

PROMPT Should be near 0

PROMPT If greater, increase 'log_buffer' parameter

select name, value

from v$sysstat

where name = 'redo log space requests'

/

From: oracle-l-bounce_at_freelists.org
[mailto:oracle-l-bounce_at_freelists.org] On Behalf Of Marquez, Chris Sent: 30 September 2005 16:40
To: oracle-l_at_freelists.org
Subject: SQL for Monitoring; log_buffer entries/growth?

Got any SQL for me?

Want to monitor how the log buffer entries are reacting / growing. What is best to see how the buffer is performing or log buffer activity?

SELECT name, value FROM V$SYSSTAT WHERE NAME like 'redo%' ??? Specifically "redo buffer allocation retries" ???

PS I know I have activity as we are archiving like crazy during heavy load.

Thanks in advance.

Chris Marquez
Oracle DBA