2 different status on each instance (2 Node RAC Standby)

From: Sami Seerangan <dba.orcl_at_gmail.com>
Date: Sat, 1 Oct 2005 12:39:27 -0400

I am experiencing some weird behavior in standby database.

Environment:

Sun OS 2.9, Oracle 9.2.0.6 <http://9.2.0.6>,Veritas 4.0

I did setup 2 Node Primary and 2 node Standby physical standby setup as below.

2 Node Primary (test1,test2)
2 Node Standby (test1,test2)

Test Case:

SQL> show parameter cluster (on both standby1 and standby2)

NAME TYPE VALUE

------------------------------------ -----------
------------------------------
cluster_database boolean TRUE

cluster_database_instances integer 2
cluster_interconnects string
  1. Both standby instances are in READ-ONLY mode by using

SQL> ALTER DATABASE OPEN READ ONLY;
Database altered.

2) From instance1 (TEST1), I issued the following command while instance2 (TEST2) is in READ-ONLY mode.

SQL> ALTER DATABASE RECOVER MANAGED STANDBY DATABASE DISCONNECT FROM SESSION; Database altered.

3) From instance1 (TEST1), I did

SQL> select dbid,name,database_role,open_mode,SWITCHOVER_STATUS from v$database;

DBID NAME DATABASE_ROLE OPEN_MODE SWITCHOVER_STATUS

---------- --------- ---------------- ---------- ------------------
1867751112 TEST PHYSICAL STANDBY MOUNTED RECOVERY NEEDED 4) From instance2 (TEST2), I did

SQL> select dbid,name,database_role,open_mode,SWITCHOVER_STATUS from v$database;

DBID NAME DATABASE_ROLE OPEN_MODE SWITCHOVER_STATUS

---------- --------- ---------------- ---------- ------------------
1867751112 TEST PHYSICAL STANDBY READ ONLY SESSIONS ACTIVE 5) From instance1(TEST1), I did

SQL> select database_status,instance_role,status from gv$instance;

DATABASE_STATUS INSTANCE_ROLE STATUS

ACTIVE PRIMARY_INSTANCE MOUNTED 6) From Instance2(TEST2), I did

SQL> select database_status,instance_role,status from gv$instance;

DATABASE_STATUS INSTANCE_ROLE STATUS

ACTIVE PRIMARY_INSTANCE OPEN Questions:

Q1) How the cluster database is showing 2 different status in 2 difference instance

Q2) Why gv$instance is reporting only one instance event though both are either
mounted or open for READ-ONLY