Re: Oracle Transparent Gateway

From: Robyn <robyn.sands_at_gmail.com>
Date: Fri, 30 Sep 2005 17:11:34 -0400

Hello,

I've been able to use Heterogeneous Services in two cases; one connecting to an Informix database and one connecting to SQL*Server. In both case the Oracle database was on Unix. Transparent Gateways was not an option due to the cost.

The SQL*Server connection was reasonably easy to configure and we used standard MS drivers, but we wanted to use snapshots which would not work so we went with a Business Objects connector for reporting only. Simple selects worked fine as long as the syntax gets worked out. SQL*server is not one of my favorite things so the query syntax was the hardest part.

The Informix connection was more challenging because Informix documentation was harder to find and I had to get the DataDirect driver, but that setup did move into production a few months ago and it's been relatively trouble free.

hth ... Robyn Sands

--
Robyn Anderson Sands
email: Robyn.Sands_at_SciAtl.com