Re: Oracle Transparent Gateway

From: Robyn <>
Date: Fri, 30 Sep 2005 17:11:34 -0400

I've been able to use Heterogeneous Services in two cases; one connecting to an Informix database and one connecting to SQL*Server. In both case the Oracle database was on Unix. Transparent Gateways was not an option due to the cost.

The SQL*Server connection was reasonably easy to configure and we used standard MS drivers, but we wanted to use snapshots which would not work so we went with a Business Objects connector for reporting only. Simple selects worked fine as long as the syntax gets worked out. SQL*server is not one of my favorite things so the query syntax was the hardest part.

The Informix connection was more challenging because Informix documentation was harder to find and I had to get the DataDirect driver, but that setup did move into production a few months ago and it's been relatively trouble free.

hth ... Robyn Sands

On 9/30/05, Goulet, Dick <> wrote:
> The Gateway is a separately licensed product, but you've got to download the
> entire enterprise cd set for Windows to find the software. Heterogeneous
> services for HP-UX is one item that I have not been able to get working. I
> would not waste my time on it. The gateway is $5K per server that it's
> installed on, if my memory is working right. Takes about 2 hours to get
> installed & running & then using a Microsoft utility you can tie in all the
> sql server databases you want.

Robyn Anderson Sands