RE: Oracle Transparent Gateway

From: Goulet, Dick <DGoulet_at_vicr.com>
Date: Fri, 30 Sep 2005 11:14:41 -0400

The Gateway is a separately licensed product, but you've got to download the entire enterprise cd set for Windows to find the software. Heterogeneous services for HP-UX is one item that I have not been able to get working. I would not waste my time on it. The gateway is $5K per server that it's installed on, if my memory is working right. Takes about 2 hours to get installed & running & then using a Microsoft utility you can tie in all the sql server databases you want.

From: oracle-l-bounce_at_freelists.org
[mailto:oracle-l-bounce_at_freelists.org] On Behalf Of Subbiah, Nagarajan Sent: Thursday, September 29, 2005 12:38 PM To: 'oracle-l_at_freelists.org'
Subject: Oracle Transparent Gateway

Hi,

Is the Oracle Transparent Gateway a licensable product? We have a requirement to access the SQL Server from the Oracle using the DB link or Synonyms of the SQL Server object in the Oracle using the dblink.

In the Heterogeneous connectivity document, it says either you could use the Generic connectivity or the Transparent Gateway. The transparent gateway can use the SQL Server database as a another Oracle database so we could use the Database link. How about the Generic connectivity? I wasn't clear that the Generic connectivity has the same feature of using the db link. Also, Does Oracle support the SQL Server connectivity from the Unix (HP-UX)?

Thanks,
Raja