RE: "snapshot too old" and undo_retention

From: Hallas, John, Tech Dev <John.Hallas_at_gb.vodafone.co.uk>
Date: Fri, 30 Sep 2005 08:04:30 +0100

If it is a huge table then it does not really matter how accurate the statistics are so why bother gathering them. Estimate them instead.

  dbms_stats.set_table_stats( user, 'TABLE', numrows => 50000, numblks
=> 10000 );

  dbms_stats.set_column_stats( user, 'TABLE', 'COLUMN', distcnt => 15000 );

I think space is the only issue with a large undo_rention area. However do you really want a job to be running for 36 hours

Is the table not partitioned? If so then use the partition option of dbms_stats and break the job down into smaller sections

HTH   John

From: oracle-l-bounce_at_freelists.org
[mailto:oracle-l-bounce_at_freelists.org] On Behalf Of Roger Xu Sent: 29 September 2005 22:33
To: Oracle-L_at_Freelists. Org (E-mail)
Subject: "snapshot too old" and undo_retention

Hi List,

Background: Oracle 9.2.0 w/ Auto Undo Management

We have a huge table and it takes more than 24 hours to collect its statistics.

But the undo_retention is set to 864000 i.e. 24 hours. As a result we see the following a lot.

"ORA-01555: snapshot too old: rollback segment number 11 with name "_SYSSMU11$" too small"

Since we have lots of space in the undo tablespace, I am thinking of increasing undo_retention to 36 hours

via "ALTER SYSTEM SET UNDO_RETENTION = 129600;"

Is this my only choice?

What are the drawbacks to have a large undo_retention value assuming we never run out undo tablespace?

Thanks,

Roger Xu

This e-mail is intended solely for the person or entity to which it is addressed and may contain confidential and/or privileged information. Any review, dissemination, copying, printing or other use of this e-mail by persons or entities other than the addressee is prohibited. If you have received this e-mail in error, please contact the sender immediately and delete the material.

This email has been scanned for all viruses by the MessageLabs Email Security System. Any questions please call 972-721-8257 or email your request to tech_support_at_dp7uptx.com.