Re: "snapshot too old" and undo_retention

From: Kirtikumar Deshpande <kedeshpande_at_yahoo.com>
Date: Thu, 29 Sep 2005 14:45:51 -0700 (PDT)

Sure, if disk space is not an issue for the undo tablespace, you can increase the undo_retention to whatever you want up to the max 2^32 - 1 seconds, or over 136 years :)

Yes, that is one of the choices to attempt to minimize ORA-1555 error.

You can also find out the time for your longest running query:

 select max(maxquerylen) seconds from v$undostat;

Setting undo_retention to more than this value should suffice.

There are no drawbacks in setting undo_retention to a large value. If you have ample undo space, Oracle will try not to overwrite committed data in undo segments, but again, if it needs the undo space to keep other transactions alive it will simply ignore the undo_retention setting and use the space.

Actually, you should look in alert log to get the SQL that got ORA-1555 error, and see if it can be tuned to not run so long. The log will also show how long the query ran before getting ORA-1555 error.

HTH,

Yahoo! Mail - PC Magazine Editors' Choice 2005 http://mail.yahoo.com