RE: Oracle RAC backup hardware/software recommendation?

From: Marquez, Chris <cmarquez_at_collegeboard.org>
Date: Thu, 29 Sep 2005 09:09:05 -0400

>>Legato Networker, IBM Tivoli.

I assume you are talking about backing up to TAPE directly.

Short answer I have worked with both of these for RMAN backups. Legato a longer time ago with Oracle 8i...well before EMC bought them. Tivoli (IBM) TDPO more recently....very hard to originally configure, but once over the hurdles a very mature robust product...but the config will drive you little crazy.

Three more comments;

1.) Test, Test, Test you restore and recoveries, you will gain further insight to RMAN and MML logic and differences.

2.) With RAC-RMAN and MML you will begin to see the importance of a shared "cluster" filesystem for redo logs.

3.) On the same note as #2 above learn now that Oracle-RMAN sees a "backup" as a whole...a single logical unit, while *ANY* MML sees individual pieces of data from a client (machine). This becomes critical when you are trying to restore *ALL* (local) arch log files at one time from two DIFFERENT clients...or you are trying to restore all the datafiles backed up from RAC-node A to RAC-node B. These are the same database and RMAN backup, but different clients as far as the MML is concerned. Server "spoofing" with MML config files is a must "know" with RAC and MML.

hth

Chris Marquez
Oracle DBA