Re: no. of users supported

From: raja rao <raja4list_at_yahoo.com>
Date: Thu, 29 Sep 2005 01:15:19 -0700 (PDT)

The database is a complete read activity. not much inserts.

99% of users are doing selects.

With this, can we have a guess, to howmany users this server supports.

(they wont stay idle, all the time they loggedin , they keep reading the things. this is the
nature of the db)

Can we guess the count now ?

26+26=52 is fine ?
or any good number near to that ?

Allan Nelson <anelson77388_at_gmail.com> wrote: There is not a hard and fast rule for situations like this. OLTP loads can vary widely. Consider for instance Oracle Financials which can be loosly characterized as an OLTP load over against a home grown application where say 52 people are just entering data from say a phone survey. Those would be very different load profiles.

Then there is the difference between people actively executing sql against your database and people who are just sitting there with a connection and not executing anything.

The best approach to seeing if this work might be a combination of watching the CPU and checking out what your database is waiting on. For a pure OLTP load and 2 CPU's I'd try and stay at or below about 70% of max cpu. If you go higher than that you may well get into queueing where response time for your users becomes unpredictable. Sorry not to give a more difinitive answer but it really isn't that cut and dried.

Allan

On 9/28/05, raja rao <raja4list_at_yahoo.com> wrote:Hi All,

os: Solaris 2.9

We have a solaris box with 2 GB RAM and 2 cpus.

Is there any rule to know how many oracle connections are fine to work with it (mean to say the oracle sessions on that).

I heard it is 26 users per cpu. is this true ? or is there any other principle to calculate how many users concurrently can use this box.

(the database is OLTP)

Thanks,
Raj

Yahoo! for Good