RE: A special way of migration

From: Lex de Haan <lex.de.haan_at_naturaljoin.nl>
Date: Wed, 28 Sep 2005 19:05:59 +0200

"The whole export will be read into undo segments" is wrong; also, the export will *not* result in more undo generation or retention.

the export job "just" risks ORA-1555 (snapshot too old) in case concurrently running transactions have overwritten undo info needed to reconstruct read consistent block images. only the blocks dirtied since the export job started will be cloned in the buffer cache, and *only then* certain undo information is needed to reconstruct older block images.

so what you need to do (as Mark suggests below) is to size your undo tablespace and to set the undo retention appropriately. in 10g, you can set the retention to be guaranteed; until 9i, it is based on best effort.

cheers,

Lex.

Steve Adams Seminar http://www.naturaljoin.nl/events/seminars.html