Re: A special way of migration

From: Yechiel Adar <adar76_at_inter.net.il>
Date: Wed, 28 Sep 2005 16:16:32 +0200

Hello Joerg

  1. First of all, I would not mix upgrade of oracle version with a move to a new server. One change at a time if enough for me.
  2. As to your idea of copy via database link you can just do export rows=n. Then build new database on the new server and do import from that export file. This will build all the database structure that you need. Then run insert as select via database link and all will be well. If the presence of indexes slow the process down too much you can delete the indexes and use: imp system/manager file=... fromuser=test touser=test indexfile=idx.sql This will create a script to build all the indexes.
  3. Have you thought about moving the storage to the new server, like: (when I say disk I mean disk array or disk defined in central storage)
  4. Build a new server and install oracle, the same version as the source.
  5. Attach a new disk and build the database, with the same sid and directory structure as on the old server, on the new disk.
  6. Stop the service and detach the new disk.
  7. On the old server, stop the service and detach the disk.
  8. Connect the disk to the new server and restart.

I tested this procedure with windows servers that connect to the EMC and it works.

Adar Yechiel
Rechovot, Israel