RE: A special way of migration

From: Andre van Winssen <awinssen_at_xs4all.nl>
Date: Wed, 28 Sep 2005 09:24:39 +0200

Joerg,

Here are some thoughts and experiences:

Exports can be made in a consistent way (consistent=y), meaning that all data is logically from the same timestamp, which is what you usually want.

Imports can be speeded up considerably by using large buffersize (and commit=y!) and by making sure no characterset translation has to take place between export server and import server. Import isn't happy importing datatypes LONG or LONG RAW, it will do it row by row instead of by arrays. Sqlplus' COPY feature is a workaround for the slow import using LONG because you can use arrays even with LONG's.

The issue with database links and sqlplus COPY is that you have to arrange yourself that copied data across tables in a schema is consistent, i.e. if you have to copy tables A..Z then no one else should be updating these tables until you are finished. Otherwise the data in the import or target server may loose its referential integrity.

Regards,
Andre van Winssen