RE: Solid State Disks for Databases

From: Nuno Souto <dbvision_at_iinet.net.au>
Date: Wed, 28 Sep 2005 09:11:52 +0800

Quoting "Gogala, Mladen" <MGogala_at_allegientsystems.com>:

> Actually, once upon a time in Lubljana Slovenia, I benchmarked a system
> called Wyse 6000 against SGI Indigo2.
> Another member of this list was playing for the competition. I did put redo
> log files on a RAM-disk and it did make
> a lot of difference, but it has happened a long, long time ago (RDBMS
> 6.0.36) in a galaxy far, far away.

Still made a difference as late as 8ir3, last time I had a chance to test a SSD on the redo logs. Where IMHO it can make a significant difference: if the system does a lot of db writes (update/insert/delete) and it's not practical/economic to dedicate an entire huge disk (EMC raid or not is immaterial) to redo files.

Outside of those conditions, pot luck really. Like Gary said: measure and derive would be the way to go.

--
Cheers
Nuno Souto