Re: XML -> DDL / DML

From: Michael McMullen <ganstadba_at_hotmail.com>
Date: Mon, 26 Sep 2005 15:13:51 -0400

Is the schema definition always the same? What version, 10g has lots of new xml stuff. I've only worked with 9i.
Here's what we did
Load the xml document into an xmltype column. Loop through each record in your database containing the xmltype column. Check for the existence of each xml attribute. If you can have more than one occurrence of the attribute, you have to check for that and loop through those. It's a lot of code and very inflexible, but when they design an ordering system somebody should have figured out that people might actually want to be able to report on the details of the orders.
You can load the schema definition into the database and then automatically load the xml into the proper tables and columns but this was not practical for our purposes.
go to asktom.oracle.com and do a search on xml to get started. ----- Original Message -----