RE: Linux RedHat AS2.1 and Linux RedHat ES4.0 for the Standby

From: Gogala, Mladen <MGogala_at_allegientsystems.com>
Date: Mon, 26 Sep 2005 13:43:34 -0400

No, you should not bother your sysadmin except if you think that he needs additional exercise to keep fit.

Data block format is the same on both platforms as is the format of redo log files. Standby will be applying

archived redo logs from the original database to a copy of the original database. As long as it is capable of

doing so, everything will be kosher and archived redo logs will cause no problem when applied to the standby.

In addition to that, you should use 9.2.0.7 instead of 9.2.0.1 as it has whole bunch of bugs fixed.

--

Mladen Gogala

Ext. 121

From: Luc Demanche [mailto:lucdemanche_at_gmail.com] Sent: Monday, September 26, 2005 1:35 PM To: oracle-l_at_freelists.org
Subject: Linux RedHat AS2.1 and Linux RedHat ES4.0 for the Standby

Hi,

Our Oracle 9.2.0.1 <http://9.2.0.1> production database is running on a RedHat AS2.1

We would like to have a Standby database, but the sysadmin already installed the server with Linux ES4.0.

Usually, the platform has to be the same. Should I ask the sysadmin to reinstalled the server ?

Thanks

Luc

--

Luc Demanche