AW: Replication Advice Needed

From: Stefan Jahnke <Stefan.Jahnke_at_bov.de>
Date: Mon, 26 Sep 2005 15:13:28 +0200

Hi everybody

I'm just facing the same "challenge". I have to keep to instances in sync and both have to be online. So I figured I'd go with Multi-Master Replication (tm). All tables are subject to DML, 99% inserts. Are there any pitfalls to be expected?

Regards,

Stefan

Von: oracle-l-bounce_at_freelists.org
[mailto:oracle-l-bounce_at_freelists.org] Im Auftrag von Marquez, Chris Gesendet: Freitag, 23. September 2005 17:11 An: charlottejanehammond_at_yahoo.com; ORACLE-L Betreff: RE: Replication Advice Needed

Charlotte,

Very quickly...

I would use Multi Master Advanced Replication for this. Multi Master Replication is perfect for "small-ish / low-volume tables" with little dependencies where data changes happen infrequently and on one database MOST/ALL of the time

I would stay far away from "synchronous" Replication...just run the "push" and "purge" jobs say every five minutes...unless you really need real time changes at both ends.

Having sad all of this I have no real experience with Streams and maybe some here will say that it is just as well.

If you go with Multi Master Replication I can send you some personal notes.

Be forewarned that Multi Master Advanced Replication is not with administration head aches as is *ANY* transaction based data synchronization option/tool.

hth

Chris Marquez
Oracle DBA