Re: OID vs Oracle Names Server vs TNSNAMES.ORA vs MAD

From: Jared Still <jkstill_at_gmail.com>
Date: Sun, 25 Sep 2005 12:40:24 -0700

On 9/21/05, stephen booth <stephenbooth.uk_at_gmail.com> wrote:
> My line manager grabbed me just as I was leaving today to say that one
> of our departments is thinking of implementing Oracle Names Server,
> currently they're using tnsnames.ora files on each desktop. The
> application they're using is a COTS Forms fat client application.

We currently use Oracle Names, and will be moving to OID, likely using ONames proxy for a couple of older apps, with AD as the repository/

Though ONames/OID are both much better then tnsnames.ora for client use, I have found it beneficial at times to use tnsnames.ora on servers to avoid the overhead of resolving names through ONames.

Such was the case a couple of weeks ago when a web app suddenly started getting timeout errors from an Oracle DB.

The client had been recently upgraded from 8i to 9i. Even tnsping would fail regularly. Switching to tnsnames.ora on the web/app server fixed the problem.

Seems there is a bug in the 9i client under certain circumstances. The recommended workaround is to use tnsnames.ora.

Jared Still