Re: Restoration of Backups from Prodction Server

From: Carel-Jan Engel <cjpengel.dbalert_at_xs4all.nl>
Date: Thu, 22 Sep 2005 01:17:13 +0200

Hi Gupta,

I did this some years ago with a 90 GB database, from Singapore to The Hague. We had just a 128 Kbit ISDN line for archive transport, which was enough. The datafiles were shipped by tape/airmail.

Data Guard has the advantage that you have a good fallback scenario. If for some reason, after the 'move', you have to revert to the original site, you can easily switch back to it, if you kept it (temporarily) as a standby. An other thing you can do: defer the remote destination at the primary, backup the standby, and activate it, to check whether everything is fine. After checking, restore the backup, reenable the destination and it will resume applying archives.

Data Guard is a serious option here. You didn't mention the license type, SE, or EE. You will need EE. Oracle demands you have the same version of OS (incl patchlevel they ask, to be safe) and identical Oracle version.

Best regards,

Carel-Jan Engel

===
If you think education is expensive, try ignorance. (Derek Bok) ===