Re: OID vs Oracle Names Server vs TNSNAMES.ORA vs MAD

From: Paul Drake <bdbafh_at_gmail.com>
Date: Wed, 21 Sep 2005 16:29:05 -0400

On 9/21/05, stephen booth <stephenbooth.uk_at_gmail.com> wrote:

> My line manager grabbed me just as I was leaving today to say that one
> of our departments is thinking of implementing Oracle Names Server,
> currently they're using tnsnames.ora files on each desktop. The
> application they're using is a COTS Forms fat client application.
>
> I've never used ONS (or OID for that matter), only ever needed
> tnsnames.ora ,and never come accross it on a course so all I really
> know about it is what I've picked up from the documentation (I've
> found that Oracle documentation tends to be great for telling you how
> to do stuff but less good at telling you the whys and why nots of
> choosing to use a particular technology).
>
> I have a vague reccolection of attending a talk at the 2004 UK Oracle
> User Group conference, or maybe the 2003 conference, where the
> relative pros and cons of Oracle Names, tnsnames.ora and OID were
> outlined. I've searched the UKOUG site library and Googled but can't
> seem to find the slides. Does anyone happen to know where I could
> find the slides from that talk or a document that covers the same
> ground.
>
> IIRC ONS is deprecated so would be a bad idea to implement. I'd be
> most likely wanting to look at OID or some alternative directory. We
> do use Microsoft Active Directory, which I'm aware that Net8 can use
> as an alternative to OID. Can anyone point me to an overview of the
> issues around doing that. The main issue I can envisage coming up is
> our directories team being unwilling to let anything they don't
> control writing to the directory so anything that might assuage their
> fears would be most useful.
>
> Thanks in advance.
>
> Stephen
> --
> It's better to ask a silly question than to make a silly assumption.

Stephen,

See Note:111942.1 Setting TNS_ADMIN Environment Variable in metalink. A single set of Oracle client configuration files is manageable, but is also a single point of failure.

e.g.

C:\>dir %tns_admin%
Volume in drive \\MyFileServer\MyMountPoint is New Volume Volume Serial Number is F4EC-8CCB

Directory of \\MyFileServer\MyMountPoint\DBATurf\network\admin

08/09/2005 04:54 PM <DIR> .
08/09/2005 04:54 PM <DIR> ..
08/09/2005 04:55 PM 386 sqlnet.ora
09/19/2005 05:20 PM 38,744 tnsnames.ora

2 File(s) 39,130 bytes
2 Dir(s) 48,977,252,352 bytes free

C:\utilities>tnsping mydb

TNS Ping Utility for 32-bit Windows: Version 10.1.0.4.0 - Production on 21-SEP-2
005 16:27:21

Copyright (c) 1997, 2003, Oracle. All rights reserved.

Used parameter files:
\\MyFileServer\MyMountPoint\DBATurf\\network\admin\sqlnet.ora

Used TNSNAMES adapter to resolve the alias Attempting to contact (DESCRIPTION = (ADDRESS_LIST = (ADDRESS = (PROTOCOL = TCP)
(HOST = myhost)(PORT = 1521))) (CONNECT_DATA = (SERVICE_NAME = mydb.mydomain.com <http://mydb.mydomain.com>))) OK (10 msec)

paths obfuscated, of course.

Paul