RE: 10.2 listener won't start on same port as 9.2 listener

From: Mercadante, Thomas F (LABOR) <Thomas.Mercadante_at_labor.state.ny.us>
Date: Wed, 21 Sep 2005 11:32:17 -0400

The argument made by others on this list was that one listener per application was easier to manage when you might be performing software upgrades.

Didn't make sense to me, but that's what was said.

From: oracle-l-bounce_at_freelists.org
[mailto:oracle-l-bounce_at_freelists.org] On Behalf Of Goulet, Dick Sent: Wednesday, September 21, 2005 11:29 AM To: MGogala_at_allegientsystems.com; JayMiller_at_TDWaterhouse.com; oracle-l_at_freelists.org
Subject: RE: 10.2 listener won't start on same port as 9.2 listener

The advice I got from OTS some years ago, like with the release of 8.0, was to use one listener for all databases on a single server, just use the latest listener installed as they were backwards compatible. That advice has been working extremely well ever since. So my question would be why do you want a separate listener, unless you've got two or more IP addresses, and consequently NIC's, for one server?

From: oracle-l-bounce_at_freelists.org
[mailto:oracle-l-bounce_at_freelists.org] On Behalf Of Gogala, Mladen Sent: Wednesday, September 21, 2005 11:20 AM To: 'JayMiller_at_TDWaterhouse.com'; oracle-l_at_freelists.org Subject: RE: 10.2 listener won't start on same port as 9.2 listener

Oracle is, quite obviously, listening to my advice, even if some listers are not.

--

Mladen Gogala

Ext. 121

From: JayMiller_at_TDWaterhouse.com [mailto:JayMiller_at_TDWaterhouse.com] Sent: Tuesday, September 20, 2005 6:07 PM To: oracle-l_at_freelists.org Subject: RE: 10.2 listener won't start on same port as 9.2 listener Well, I just got the answer from Oracle and apparently 10.2 is purposely not allowing you to do this any more. It was done as a fix for another bug and this behavior will be backported to earlier versions in future releases. Looks like we're going to have to go with a single listener, like it or not. Sigh. -- http://www.freelists.org/webpage/oracle-l