RE: Veritas netbackup and RMAN restore

From: Johnson, George <GJohnson_at_GAM.COM>
Date: Wed, 21 Sep 2005 09:31:47 +0100

        This is stuff, just off the top of my head, that we do when we get slow response from our NBU kit.

        Assuming this is streaming from a media server across the network to the server holding the database, speak to your Netbackup admin and get them to confirm if the tape read speed is normal, they should also be able to suggest or perform the standard NBU speed checks on the bp processes to make sure they are performing optimally, on the server writing the data to the database disks. If read speed is slower on your restore, but others are OK, might suggest network or target server disk bottleneck. So you might want to get on to the network admin and check the network speed, on all the NBU components from media server down to the database server. If the server holding the database is a media server, then you need to check again with the NBU admin that the local tape access system is running at full speed. Finally check the database server disks are up to spec and there are no bottlenecks from the NBU bp processes to the disks.

        This should hopefully trigger some thoughts on other places to look.

        Rgds