RE: Veritas netbackup and RMAN restore

From: Hallas, John, Tech Dev <John.Hallas_at_gb.vodafone.co.uk>
Date: Wed, 21 Sep 2005 08:33:55 +0100

A few thoughts.

How long does it take to backup the same 150Gb database. If you look at the NW gui (nwadmin) then you should be able to see what I happening on the networker server (not necessarily the database server. Identify what you are using as the value for NSR_SERVER from your RMAN backup configuration.

Log onto that server and open an x-session and export your display. Run the nwadmin command - on Solaris I find it at /opt/networker/bin/nwadmin but another way is to ps -ef |grep nsr and see where the binaries are kept.

That allows you to see what is happening on the server when you backup and restore is running. I suggest monitoring this during a backup and seeing what throughput you are getting to tape and then repeating on a restore.

To save time why not just backup and recover a single datafile or tablespace.

On the restore use the same channels setting as you did on the backup.

Hope this helps and if not perhaps you can provide more details of the setup.

John