RE: Database recovery problem

From: Onkarnath Tiwari <onkar.tiwari_at_in.ness.com>
Date: Wed, 21 Sep 2005 10:16:54 +0530

Tom,

I had not deleted the system files but after seeking for ur help , I had been suggested by one of my colleague to try to recover the database using the backup of controlfile. The steps were :

  1. after the user deleted the datafiles, I took the backup of controlfile to trace.
  2. then issue the command recover database using backup of controlfile until cancel and after that it was giving this error. But just to mention that I had not dropped the system files.

After ur suggestion I had issued the command alter database datafile '<<name>>' offline drop; then repeated the steps once again and supplied the redo log file name with the path and the database got opened. However I had intimated the owner team of the database to take the backup regularly and put it in archivelog mode so that recovery of the data could also be possible.

Thanks a million once again for ur help and co-operation

Thanks & Regards,

T.Onkar Nath
Oracle DBA
Extn. : 2269
email : onkar.tiwari_at_in.ness.com

From: Michael McMullen [mailto:ganstadba_at_hotmail.com] Sent: Tuesday, September 20, 2005 6:10 PM To: onkarnath.tiwary_at_gmail.com; oracle-l_at_freelists.org Subject: Re: Database recovery problem

almost correct
startup mount;
alter database datafile 'D:\DB\ORADATA\BODEV\NMSANDBOX_DATA.ORA' offline drop;
alter database open;
if the database still wants to recover more files you need to drop them also, if it wants to recover system it's time to learn irish say
WHALE
OIL
BEEF
HOOKED
faster and faster with an bit of an irish lilt. back to the problem at hand.
drop tablespace tablespace_of_the_above_datafile; then reload your data because you were in noarchivelog mode so you must be
able to reload your data.

then take this opportunity to crank up your buffer cache to as big as possible -- this is a joke, no flames please.

Onkar,

It is asking for an archive file because the dummy file that you created is
not an Oracle database file. So it is trying to bring it up to date. Even
though you are not running in archivelog mode, Oracle still acts the same
way - that is, it is keeping track of what would be the correct archivelog
file even though it did not write them out to disk.

You have one option:

Startup mount;
Alter datafile 'D:\DB\ORADATA\BODEV\NMSANDBOX_DATA.ORA' offline. Alter database open.

You will be able to export all of the data in the database except what was
stored in this data file. This will allow you to import it into another database.

So all of your data is not gone - just the stuff in this file/tablespace.
Everything else has been lost.

Good Luck!

Tom