Re: Database recovery problem

From: Paul Drake <bdbafh_at_gmail.com>
Date: Tue, 20 Sep 2005 12:17:13 -0400

On 9/20/05, Branimir Petrovic <BranimirP_at_cpas.com> wrote:

> Try as hard as you may - you can not delete any Oracle data files on
> Windows (should have said - on Windows ONLY) while the database is up
> and running. Windows keeps them locked 'n safe from deletion attempts.
> However, take the tablespace offline and watch its individual data
> files become "fair game" for deletion attempts...
> The story you've been told on how the problem came to be - simply ain't
> true. It takes more than a simple mistake (on Windows that is) to get
> to this point. FYI - it takes *deliberate* aim.
> Branimir

Branimir,

This is not correct when it comes to files mounted on a SAN. It is entirely possible to overwrite files owned by a different database instance if account separation is not used. I know someone that proved this to be true (not saying who that might be) via a "create controlfile" statement during a cloning exercise. Lets just say that it counted as a backup/restore/recover exercise.

Paul

P.S.