RE: 10.2 listener won't start on same port as 9.2 listener

From: <JayMiller_at_TDWaterhouse.com>
Date: Tue, 20 Sep 2005 11:29:30 -0400

For the first question, there were two reasons for the request that we run our listeners on the same port. The first was a request from security which doesn't like to open the firewall for more than the minimum number of ports. The second was from the SAs who are setting up the environment in sort of semi-clustered fashion. The idea is that if the server should go down we can easily distribute the 3 instances among other servers (storage is on a SAN) simply by starting the individual instances and listeners on different boxes.

This is also the reason we don't have just one listener for all instances. We want the ability to bring up any instance on any box and the only way we could do that would be if every listener on every box was configured for every Oracle database in the company. I suppose we could do that, but there's less management involved to maintaining one listener per instance (otherwise whenever we added a new instance anywhere we'd need to modify and restart all our listeners).

And it worked perfectly in 9.2 and 10.1 and when I restored the 10.1 version last night.

Thanks,
Jay Miller
Sr. Oracle DBA
x68355