Re: 10.2 listener won't start on same port as 9.2 listener

From: Mark Bole <makbo_at_pacbell.net>
Date: Tue, 20 Sep 2005 07:23:35 -0700

JayMiller_at_TDWaterhouse.com wrote:

> Is anyone else out there running both a 10.2 and a 9.2 listener on the
> same port? Now that I've successfully upgraded my dev database from
> 10.1 to 10.2 I'm having listener issues (Solaris 2.9).
>

> Previously I was running 3 listeners on the same port with no problems
> (2 of them 9.2 one of them 10.1). When I try to start the listener for
> the 10.2 database it complains that there is already a listener running
> on that port:
>

> $ lsnrctl start listener_mds
>
> LSNRCTL for Solaris: Version 10.2.0.1.0 - Production on 19-SEP-2005 20:37:49
>
> Copyright (c) 1991, 2005, Oracle. All rights reserved.
>
> TNS-01106: Listener using listener name listener_rtb has already been
> started

[...]

TNS-01106: Listener using listener name string has already been started

     Cause: Another listener is already listening on one of the ADDRESSes specified.

     Action: Shutdown the previous listener specified by the listener name before starting this one.

Have you tried the above step first? Note that ADDRESSes are not limited to TCP protocol. Perhaps you have a conflicting IPC key? What are the results of the "netstat --listening" command run as root?

Break the problem down through process of elimination. Double-check your ORACLE_HOME settings when starting each listener. Eliminate all but one ADDRESS for each listener, and then add them back in one at a time.

But, as Mladen stated, there is rarely a reason to run more than one listener per machine. Why do you need to do this?

--
Mark Bole
http://www.bincomputing.com