RE: Database recovery problem

From: Mercadante, Thomas F (LABOR) <Thomas.Mercadante_at_labor.state.ny.us>
Date: Tue, 20 Sep 2005 08:26:10 -0400

Onkar,

It is asking for an archive file because the dummy file that you created is not an Oracle database file. So it is trying to bring it up to date. Even though you are not running in archivelog mode, Oracle still acts the same way - that is, it is keeping track of what would be the correct archivelog file even though it did not write them out to disk.

You have one option:

Startup mount;

Alter datafile 'D:\DB\ORADATA\BODEV\NMSANDBOX_DATA.ORA' offline.

Alter database open.

You will be able to export all of the data in the database except what was stored in this data file. This will allow you to import it into another database.

So all of your data is not gone - just the stuff in this file/tablespace. Everything else has been lost.

Good Luck!

Tom

From: oracle-l-bounce_at_freelists.org
[mailto:oracle-l-bounce_at_freelists.org] On Behalf Of Onkar N Tiwary Sent: Tuesday, September 20, 2005 7:55 AM To: oracle-l_at_freelists.org
Subject: Database recovery problem

hi all,

We have got one oracle 9i rel 2 on windows 2000 running in no-archive log mode. the problem is one of the dba of the other team has deleted some of the dbf files while the database was running and tablespace was online. after deleting the file he re-started the database which while opening throw error saying that file needs recovery. I was told to do this . I have created the dbf files also but while recovering the dbfs using RECOVER DATAFILE ' 'D:\DB\ORADATA\BODEV\NMSANDBOX_DATA.ORA'; command its asking for the archive files . output is below mentioned :

SQL> recover datafile 'D:\DB\ORADATA\BODEV\NMSANDBOX_DATA.ORA'; ORA-00279: change 38062424 generated at 05/13/2005 00:52:05 needed for thread 1
ORA-00289: suggestion : F:\ORACLE\ORA92\RDBMS\ARC00397.001 ORA-00280: change 38062424 for thread 1 is in sequence #397

Specify log: {<RET>=suggested | filename | AUTO | CANCEL}

I dont know why its asking for the archive files.??? Btw the team who is owning the database has not taken any backup. If anyone has got the problem like this , plz. share ur experience so that I can perform this.

TIA

--
Thanks & Regards,
T. Onkar Nath