Re: OT - Advice for the Oracle Newbie

From: stephen booth <stephenbooth.uk_at_gmail.com>
Date: Sun, 18 Sep 2005 16:06:39 +0100

On 18/09/05, Patty.Charlebois_at_greenshield.ca <Patty.Charlebois_at_greenshield.ca> wrote:
> I am trying to put together a *Newbie DBA Handbook* to be used for new hires at my company and thought I would poll the list for topic suggestions.
> So my question to you is, if you could give a new Oracle DBA one piece of advice, what would it be?

Remember that you can't know everything, and neither can a consultant.  What you can do is collect a decent set of documentation, web links and books to refer to when you need them. Even if you did know the database inside and out, there's always the OS, the network and the application to throw you a curve ball.

I've just spent most of the last week trying to solve a problem that turned out to be caused by a NetApp consultant setting the wrong option on an NFS mount but, when I suggested the problem might be the NFS options, swearing that they were perfect. So, I suppose, that a second piece of advice would be to not be intimidated by consulatants who supposedly know more than you. They might not.

Stephen