RE: SHARED_POOL_SIZE and CURSOR_SHARING

From: Allen, Brandon <Brandon.Allen_at_OneNeck.com>
Date: Thu, 15 Sep 2005 09:31:35 -0700

I'd imagine it depends on your SQL set. If your SQL statements are already using bind variables, then they are already shared and then I would think it doesn't make any difference what you set cursor_sharing too, but if you're running SQL with literals I'd think it could make a significant difference on the sharing and thus your shared pool requirements. Sorry, no real life experience testing it, but I'd think this would be a pretty specialized thing where you can't really apply a rule-of-thumb, it will depend on the size, complexity, and variations of your SQL statements, e.g. if you have 1000 versions of the same statement that are all the same except for a different literal value in the WHERE clause, then with cursor_sharing, those 1000 statements could be consolidated into one if I understand correctly (not sure, like I've said I haven't really tested it), so in this case you'd get a 99.9% reduction in size of your shared pool (if this were the only SQL in your pool, just for arguments sake), but if there were only 4 variations of the statement, then it would only be a 75% reduction. Someone please correct me if my line of thought is off here.