RE: Session Killed...!!

From: Allen, Brandon <Brandon.Allen_at_OneNeck.com>
Date: Thu, 15 Sep 2005 09:11:41 -0700

Chirag, you can use the following query to see if any transaction is actually rolling back:

select s.username, s.sid, t.addr, t.status, t.used_ublk, decode(bitand(t.flag,128),0,'NO','YES') rolling_back from v$session s, v$transaction t where s.taddr=t.addr;

(Thanks to Mark Powell for telling me about this flag a few weeks ago)

And you can query v$transaction.used_ublk at an interval to calculate the remaining time to complete the rollback - here is a query that will do it for you:

http://www.ixora.com.au/scripts/rbs.htm

(Thanks to Jared Still for pointing me to this script last month, and thanks to Steve Adams for writing and sharing it)

From: Yongping Yao [mailto: <mailto:yaoyongping_at_gmail.com> yaoyongping_at_gmail.com] Sent: Thursday, September 15, 2005 11:06 AM To: Chen, Sarah
Cc: Thomas.Mercadante_at_labor.state.ny.us; chiragdba_at_gmail.com; Oracle-L Freelists
Subject: Re: Session Killed...!!

I agree that it's very strange to kill a session in Oracle. As I experienced, SELECTs are more easier to kill than DMLs and SELECTs running after a long time are more difficult to kill. UPDATE is the most difficult to kill. Oracle always reponds as "we have marked the session killed" but the session is still there and the lock remained hold. Anyone with good recommendations?