Re: logical standby

From: Mark Bole <makbo_at_pacbell.net>
Date: Wed, 14 Sep 2005 16:05:50 -0700

Thomas Day wrote:
> What we did in a similar situation we used materialized views to
> snapshot the important tables on fast refresh interval. Not the same as
> a logical standby but it might be close enough.

That's old-fashioned "Advanced Replication". One disadvantage is that you need to create MV logs in your source database and put a load on same whenever you refresh at the target. Logical standby has a lesser(*) load (supplemental logging) and then all further activity does not affect your primary at all.

One other suggestion, if you could temporarily create your logical standby on ANY server with enough disk (even your primary, with care), then shrink it down, you could at that point move the whole thing to the intended server (using RMAN or a cold backup). You hopefully have some machine available where you can bring up a full-size copy of production (otherwise, what is your site disaster plan?)

(*) lesser = a guess, I haven't tried to quantify and measure

--
Mark Bole
http://www.bincomputing.com