Re: Buffer cache hit very low...!!!

From: Jared Still <jkstill_at_gmail.com>
Date: Wed, 14 Sep 2005 06:35:50 -0700

On 9/14/05, Michael McMullen <ganstadba_at_hotmail.com> wrote:

> 40 Gb database with a 250Mb SGA. What is your db_cache_size? What are you
> running on? I would crank that db_cache_size somewhere close to 2Gb and then
> never worry about it again.

That is not good advice considering you don't know anything about the system or the application.

Try 'cranking' your db_cache_size up to 2 Gig on Windows 2000 SE with 4 gig of RAM and watch what happens.

> Yes DBCHR is kind of useless if your cache is
> already large but it would be valid if your cache is too small.

How would this make DBCHR valid?

Will it the DBCHR indicate which SQL statement will is in need of tuning?

Or if your cache is just too small?

Please provide examples.

--
Jared Still
11+ years of trying to appear to know what I'm doing.