logical standby

From: Adams, Matthew (GE Consumer & Industrial) <MATT.ADAMS_at_GE.COM>
Date: Wed, 14 Sep 2005 07:34:58 -0400

OK, let's try this again after resubscribing to the list.

I'm in the process of setting up a logical standby databases that will only have a small portion of the tables in the primary database. (due to disk space constraints).

Oracle 9.2.0.5 on Solaris 8

This is my general plan of attack.

  1. create a new empty DB to act as the standby
  2. create that tablesapces that will contain the objects we need.
  3. run DDL to create empty copies of tables/indexes we want
  4. reboot primary to turn on parameters needed for Dataguard
  5. shutdown logical standby and restart it, identifying it as a logical standby
  6. run the DBMS_LOGSTDBY.INSTANTIATE_TABLE routine for all tables we want

I would appreciate comments on the feasiblity of this approach from anyone that has tried it before.