RE: TSM/TDP backup of rman database nocatalog

From: Marquez, Chris <cmarquez_at_collegeboard.org>
Date: Tue, 13 Sep 2005 11:07:25 -0400

Pete,

Yeah, tdposync is just doing a select of an Oracle view (about RMAN backups) and comparing it to the information in its (Tivoli-TSM) database (for the data range specified.

At least it is doing something...meaning the idea is to remove RMAN backups from Tivoli-TSM that are long gone on the Oracle-RMAN side...a sync. They could just leave it up to you (or the SA!?) and delete anything you like without checking Oracle-RMAN first! I think the is a plus for Tivoli-TSM software as limited as that validation maybe at least they do it.

The only question I still have is much you connection to and RMAN Catalog database (when prompted) when using tdposync...could you just connect to any Oracle database? I suspect not since the tdposync SELECT is like for an RMAN view?

Thanks for the update.

Chris Marquez
Oracle DBA

From: Marquez, Chris [mailto:cmarquez_at_collegeboard.org] Sent: 07 September 2005 14:52
To: Hitchman, Peter (TS UK); oracle-l_at_freelists.org Subject: RE: TSM/TDP backup of rman database nocatalog

>>I could try giving it the target database and see what happens.
Yeah, just try it...if the query that TDPO is runing is not RMAN catalog specific (view) then maybe?

>>I'll update later.

Pleas do.

Good luck,

Chris Marquez