RE: Oracle's ASSM

From: <oracle-l-bounce_at_freelists.org>
Date: Tue, 13 Sep 2005 07:47:17 -0700

            We're thinking of moving from dedicated database instances, with the plethora of management problems associated therein to a couple of RAC environments for fault tolerance (IE server failure) and load balancing among the servers as the basics. Oracle is telling us that ASM or OMF whichever you like is a mandatory part thereof.

       And what we are trying to tell you is that these are not
synonyms.
      OMF works in any filesystem AND inside ASM. ASM automatically
manages
      the contents of raw partitions (or large files on NAS).

      ASM is mandatory for only 1 product, Standard Edition One(SE1) The
SE1 product
      is limited to a total of 4 processors CLUSTERWIDE.

      Are you really sure you need RAC to properly respond to server
failure?
      Why not just a fast hot failover scenario? Yes, RAC has TAF, but
TAF
      only works for SELECT statements. If your middle tier is smart
enough to
      "reconnect and resubmit" when a SQL failure is due to server
disconnect,
      failover might be sufficient as it is for many IT shops.

Kevin Closson
Chief Architect
Oracle Database Solutions
PolyServe
http://www.polyserve.com/products.php

This poses a number of problems. First of which is damanagement which wants a change control form every time a data file does an auto extend. And a number of tablespaces that we don not want extending because we put data therein that is to be archived off to CDROM, consequently it's necessary for the process loading these tablespaces to error out every once in a while. Now I've never been an advocate of anything new that Oracle pops out of the factory until it's had some filed experience, read that as Not in it's first version. And I'm very skeptical of not knowing what is in what tablespace, especially when a hot disk pops up. We've used stripping and raid in the past with some really undesirable side effects, like mass writes taking forever and having to add more devices than we have to extend a mount point, and the resulting device additions to all of our Business Continuation Volumes. Basically trying that again is a definite no-no around here. True everyone says disk is cheap, unless you don't have them available.