Re: Does sga_target not work for 10.2 upgrade or is Oracle Support cl ueless?

From: Paul Drake <bdbafh_at_gmail.com>
Date: Mon, 12 Sep 2005 18:23:31 -0400

On 9/12/05, JayMiller_at_tdwaterhouse.com <JayMiller_at_tdwaterhouse.com> wrote:

> I'm having problems upgrading a dev database from 10.1 to 10.2 (the first
> time I've tried this). After opening a Tar the support tech said I
> obviously didn't follow directions since I didn't set SHARED_POOL_SIZE,
> LARGE_POOL_SIZE, or JAVA_POOL_SIZE as it said in the documentation. I had
> purposely not set them as I had created this database using sga_target
> instead.
>
> So do I actually need to go back to the old parameters to do the upgrade
> and
> then go back to sga_target after completing it? Has anyone upgraded 10.1to
> 10.2 using sga_target?
>
> This is 64-bit Solaris, Oracle 10.1.0.4 <http://10.1.0.4> to 10.2.0.1<http://10.2.0.1>
> .
>
> Thanks,
> Jay Miller
> Sr. Oracle DBA
> x68355

> This message is confidential and sent by TD Waterhouse solely for use
> by the intended recipient. If you are not the intended recipient, you
> are hereby notified that any use, distribution or copying of this
> communication is strictly prohibited. This should not be deemed as an
> offer or solicitation, to buy or sell any product. Any 3rd party
> information contained herein was prepared by sources deemed reliable,
> but is not guaranteed. TD Waterhouse does not accept electronic
> instructions that would require an original signature. Information
> received by or sent from TD Waterhouse is stored, subject to review,
> and may be produced to regulatory authorities or others with a legal
> right to such.

http://download-east.oracle.com/docs/cd/B19306_01/server.102/b14238.pdf

Jay,

Where are you receiving the error - in executing the pre-upgrade script " utlu102i.sql" ?
(page 3-4 of b14238.pdf - Oracle(r) Database Upgrade Guide 10g Release 2 (10.2) B14238-01)

Using dbma?
I have used sga_target during application of the 10.1.0.4 <http://10.1.0.4>patchset on win32 without error. I have not yet upgraded any databases from 10.1.0.x to 10.2.0.1<http://10.2.0.1> .

Paul

Update Parameters: [Update Oracle Database 10.2 init.ora or spfile]
WARNING: --> "shared_pool_size" needs to be increased to at least 178499994
WARNING: --> "java_pool_size" needs to be increased to at least 67108864
WARNING: --> "streams_pool_size" is not currently defined and needs a value
of at
least 50331648
WARNING: --> "session_max_open_files" needs to be increased to at least 20